Tuesday, February 27, 2018

EEND 677: Artifact #1

       The first artifact that I chose to share from this class was my “Day in the Life of 4MB” infographic. I chose to include this artifact because it related to the topic that I found to be one of the most impactful during this class. During Module 5 we learned about infographics, graphic design, and typography. This module provided some information that was the most significant that I read in the class. It was in this module when reading the article/infographic, “The Power of Visual Communication” that I read the fact that people remember 10% of what they hear, 20% of what they read, and 80% of what they see and do. This statistic was very striking to me. As an educator, I feel like how can I ignore this kind of information? It made me really think about how I can modify some of my teaching to improve student learning using this information. I am really excited about finding new ways to use images and infographics in my classroom to improve my students learning. Additionally, I noticed how my own interest and engagement improved while looking at these documents. I can understand why I may see similar engagement in my students using this type of multimedia.



            Although I really enjoyed this topic and felt very inspired to make some changes, I can’t say that this project was without challenges. I think that one thing that is so important about infographics is the way that they provide lots of information in a way that is appealing and not overwhelming. I think because often they try to look simplistic to engage the reader, they seem simple to make. However, as I created two different graphic design/infographic projects for this class, I learned that it is more challenging to look simplistic than one may anticipate. One way in which this is true is the many decisions to be made in regards to the aesthetics of the project. The font, color, and images used in the design are very important. Through the different resources presented in Module 5, I learned how important these elements are and how they can affect the way the reader perceives the information. For that reason, it is far more challenging to choose 2 appropriately contrasting fonts, than just picking one that looks nice. Similarly, there are design elements in play when choosing a color scheme, including number of colors used and the contrast desired. The design elements chosen are a very deliberate decision that requires some trial and error and planning. Additionally, my biggest challenge was how to incorporate enough information while not seeming to overwhelm the overall project. The project I was creating required a lot of information. I don’t think that this is necessarily a negative. Many infographics provide significant information. However, it is the way that they present this information in an aesthetically pleasing way that helps the reader to understand it. I feel that I struggled with including the necessary information, while still using white space, and not overcrowding the page.

            I ended up creating two versions of this artifact for class. The first version of this artifact provides more detailed sentences explaining the daily routines in my classroom. This version was created as a tool to help my maternity sub become more familiar with the routines of the classroom. She had requested this information, and I felt that this was a great opportunity to create a fun document to share our classroom routines. Additionally, in the past I have created an entire substitute binder. This binder held an enormous amount of information explaining routines and expectations for our classroom. There were several different resources in this binder. However, time and time again it would appear that the substitute did not read through the material provided. I hope that a shorter two page infographic would be a great resource for any substitute who is working in my classroom, rather than the binder. Additionally, I created a second version of this document that has just bullet points of the different elements of our day. I think that this version could be a great visual to share with parents or administrators at the beginning of the year to help them get a better understand of our daily schedule.

            Overall, I feel that this artifact works to show my growth through this course. I think this shows that I have learned the importance of using graphics and visual elements to support the understanding of a topic. I think that this artifact was a great initial infographic that allowed me to experiment with typography, color, and graphics to become familiar with the various resources available. I look forward to apply the skills I learned while creating this artifact to creating additional resources to improve my students’ learning next year. I would also love to share this information about infographics with my students, and allow them the opportunity to create infographics to show their understanding and mastery of a given topic. I feel that there are so many opportunities available in regards to this multimedia tool and I cannot way to continue to explore them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment