Monday, April 30, 2018

EEND 678 Artifacts #1: PBL Unit

The first artifact that I have chosen for this class is PBLUnit. I chose this artifact because I feel that it really encompassed learning from several different weeks in class. The idea of Project Based Learning is something that I heard about, but did not think was something that I was interested in incorporating into my classroom. The more I learned about PBL I realized that I did not have a true understanding of what PBL was or why I should be using it in my classroom. During the first few weeks of this class I learned a lot about what PBL is and the successes and challenges that often go along with it. During this time I also brainstormed several different PBLs I could implement in my classroom with a variety of corresponding technology experiences for my students. Next, we learned about UbD. I was finally able to combine these two important topics by using UbD to create a PBL unit for my students. I am so excited to implement this unit with my students during the next school year.  I think that this project is a great example of the learning I completed during the first few weeks in the class.



Although I am very proud of the work I completed for this project, and I think it shows my understanding of UbD and PBL, it does not mean that this project did not have its challenges. One major challenge I faced while completing this project was my knowledge of the subject content. I really felt that the science curriculum would lend itself best to the PBL concept, and it one of the few content areas where all my students are present. Additionally, I wanted to be sure that if I was putting in the time and effort, I wanted to create a meaningful and useful product that I could implement for multiple years. However, next year we will be implementing a new science curriculum in the elementary buildings. Although I have a curriculum map, I do not have experience actually teaching the lessons. This was a challenge when trying to create a PBL unit that focused on the topics covered in the curriculum map, even though I have not yet taught the curriculum yet. I look forward to implementing this unit next year with my students. However, I also recognize that because it is the first time that I will be teaching this curriculum, I will more than likely have to make changes and modifications to my unit as I am implementing and better understanding the curriculum and resources provided.

This assignment could be implemented into the curriculum very easily. I wrote this PBL Unit based upon the concepts that are being studied during Trimester 3 Science in fourth grade. The trimester topic in science is Waves and Earth Features. I created a PBL unit that students can work on for a few weeks during this trimester. It asks students to learn about different energy and fuel types, determine which is best for the Earth and try to convince others how and why we should use it. I think that this assignment would be great to implement because it is a real life problem that students could become really engaged with. I also provided a variety of learning opportunities for students to combine technology, research, reading, and writing skills to improve their understanding of the science topics. I believe that implement this unit will improve student engagement and improve their learning and understanding of the topic.


Finally, I think this assignment is a great example of how I have grown as an educator through this class. PBL is more than just a buzz word, but a shift in instruction that can have huge benefits for students. Prior to this class, my understanding of PBL was very limited. It was something that seemed like a lot of work that I was not interested in exploring further. However, during this class I was able to brainstorm a variety of ideas that would make great PBLs and then explore one of the topics deeper to create a PBL unit. This showed me what I am capable and has given me the courage to continue to explore PBLs in the future. I really hope to share my knowledge and understanding of PBLs with my teammates and hopefully we will be able to create additional units together. I look forward to leading my team in creating real life valuable learning experiences for our students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment